Joseph Shipley, a Quaker merchant banker, built Rockwood between 1851 and 1854. Its Gothic revival architecture and enchanting landscape were designed by Shipley to reflect the beauty of an English country estate. The museum reflects the way the Bringhurst family, descendants of Shipley, lived in their early years at Rockwood.
Rockwood's 72-acre park provides a tranquil retreat for walkers. Over two miles of lighted trails wind through woods and streams. Our park pathways are part of the Delaware Greenway system. Surrounding the mansion is the well preserved Historic Garden. Some of the trees and shrubs originally planted by Joseph Shipley are still growing in the garden today. In 2000, over 300 new trees and shrubs were planted to recapture (or recreate) the
original garden design.
HoursWednesday - Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Guided tours on the hour